MY ARTIST STATEMENT
Living in the country and especially here in the New England, the seasons shape and guide us. The basic forces in nature add a structure and richness to how we live our lives and have a powerful impact on how we feel, think and respond.
The designs, forms and process found in nature are reflected in my work and are an endless source of wonder and inspiration.
My ceramic work represents the playing with the elementals of design to create surfaces that give a feeling of our hot dry summers, the cold frosty winter mornings and the many and varied influences and stories that are drawn from the landscape and mixed into the potters clay.
Originally studying painting at the National Art School, a personal detour occurred when I began assisting a friend in their ceramics studio and I came to enjoy the versatility of ceramics…. from the intimate functional objects for every day use to sculptural and expressive works.
- Painting Diploma, National Arts School
- Ceramics Certificate, ESTC
- Graduate Diploma of Arts, Monash University
- Graduate Diploma of Education, Monash University
- 1995-2001 Visual Arts Teacher, St Josephs Secondary School, Glen Innes
- 1980-2014 TAFE New England Institute Teacher -Visual Arts, Ceramics & Design
- 2017 – Open Studio Exhibition, Glen Innes
- 2017 – `Earth Works’, Glen Innes Art Gallery
- 2016 – ‘Heat Work’ , NERAM, Armidale
- 2016 – ‘Fired Up, Weswal Gallery, Tamworth
- 2016 -`Art with Altitude’, Gunnedah
- 2015 – Open Studio Exhibition, Glen Innes
- 2015 – Feature Artist, Tenterfield Artists Co-op
- 2015 – `Travels’, Inverell Art Gallery
- 2014 – Open Studio Exhibition, Glen Innes
- 2014 – Frost Over Barraba, Feature Artist
- 2013 – `Colour Connect’, Glen Innes Art Gallery
PUBLIC & COMMUNITY ARTS PROJECTS
- 2001-The Glen Innes Community Centre, Federation Project
- 2002-River Red Gum Mural –Civic Cultural Centre Gunnedah
- 2001– Natsic Walkway Project – St Joseph’s Glen Innes
- 2003– Water Mural Project, Civic Centre Gunnedah
- 2005– Aboriginal South Side Mural, Inverell
- 2007– Parkland Aboriginal Mural, Glen Innes
- 2009– Glen Innes TAFE entrance mural
- 2011– Toowoomba Prep School `Friends for life’ Mural
- 2014 – The William Gardner Commemorative Project Glen Innes Severn Learning Centre
- 2016 – The Heart of Glen, community art project, Glen Innes